Sunday, May 3, 2009

Ten Weird, But True Facts About Myself

1) I spent first seven years of my life, 1953 to 1960, in Alaska. I DID NOT LIVE IN AN IGLOO. My Dad was in the USAF. During those seven years, I saw a lot of snow, was on a local kiddie show, and saw President Eisenhower (from a distance).

2) During the next ten years, my brother and I would be enrolled in about six different schools. Dad was still in USAF and we were always on the move. Never in one place more than two years. One of those moves took the entire family to Tehran, Iran. This was from 1966 to 1968 when the Shah was still in power and (supposedly) still loved by the masses.

3) Whether because of all these moves or my own laziness, my school grades suffered. I was a poor student. I had to take summer school in order to get my high school diploma. I did not graduate with my class.

4) In 1972, against the advice of my Dad and Uncle Roy, I joined US NAVY. They both wanted me to join the Air Farce, but I said screw that. I always had a fascination for the sea and I had read a lot of swashbuckling stories of adventure on the high seas. That was for me.

5) It was in the Navy that I learned the facts of life. I was a Mid-western boy on my own and was quick to fall to the temptations of sex, drugs, and rock n' roll. I spent 30 days in the brig for possession of Mary Jane.

6) It was while I was in the Navy and aboard the USS OKLAHOMA CITY CLG-5, that I experienced my only brush with the war in Vietnam. It was April 1975. I was 22 years old. Our ship was part of huge armada sent offshore to rescue evacuees from Saigon. My brother was a Marine aboard another ship in the armada. What I witnessed of the 'bug-out from Saigon' was dozens upon dozens of helicopters, mostly private, landing aboard various ships of the fleet and unloading refugees. Our own ship took on a couple hundred people. Most were South Vietnamese, plus a few white men from Embassy, maybe CIA?

After the refugees unloaded, the helicopters were pushed off the ship to land in the drink. These were all privately owned helos and they could not go back to Saigon. No room to store non-military craft, so off the ship they went with a SPLASH! I saw a helo hover not one hundred yards from our ship, then drop as the engine was shut off. A motor whaleboat was sent to pick up pilot. Later I exchanged a dollar bill for some VC currency.

7) I could write a whole volume on my service in Dick Nixon's Navy, but suffice to say, I wasted the three years I served. I was too busy getting laid, stoned, or whatever to care about any Naval future. Other than the debauchery I subjected myself to, I enjoyed life on the high seas. I did get seasick once going through the Taiwan Straits during a typhoon-hell everyone was sick. During my tenure, I got to man the helm up on the bridge, stand lookout with binoculars and sound powered phones, got to swab the decks, polish brass, and paint the bulkheads. I was honorably discharged with a pay grade no higher than E-3 or a PFC.

8) After I returned to 'the world', in 1976, I went to a community college by using my G.I. Bill money. Soon I met a pretty young girl who worked at the local hospital and within a year she had me going to church, where I cleansed myself of my past sins and we soon married.

9) While going to college, I took a class in Civil War History. I was unfamiliar with all the battles, but became fascinated with the instructor. Spellbound by his lectures, I resolved to learn about the war in more detail. During my research, I discovered an ancestor who'd fought on the side of the Union. It was about the same time I discovered reenacting.

10) In 1980, I attended my first Civil War reenactment. It was a farb fest, but I thought it fascinating. Over the last 27 years, I met many great people. I'm proud to have developed lasting friendships. I can share feelings, fears, and frustrations with these guys than I can my own blood family. I understand how a bond can be formed because of soldiering even we don't spill each other's blood as the real combat soldiers did.

1 comment:

FIXED BAYONET METAL SOLDIERS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.